Unable to open links in outlook – after upgrade of windows, chrome or firefox

Be Seen, Heard and Understood. Forums Tech Support Unable to open links in outlook – after upgrade of windows, chrome or firefox

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Wazza 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Wazza
    Keymaster

I had a call from Jane(NZ).
    Dear Warren,
    You came up as a problem solver when I put in ‘the message: The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Before this, I had via AVG Security put some programs to sleep ? the problem and also downloaded AVG PC Tuneup and VPN from AVG. Now I am restricted in what I can do. HELP! Please. Let me know your cost. I am in Nelson NZ but I see you do remote support.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and kind regards
    Jane

I was able to chat with Jane and help to identify the problem. I found some articles on Google that could help and sent them to Jane. I was unfortunately on-site and wasn’t able to remotely assist at the time. Jane replied but was not able to solve the problem herself. Jane was OK with me remoting onto her system to take a look.

We found that internet explorer was the problem and it had been disabled. Try to reset Internet Explorer by opening Internet explorer, tools, Internet Options, Advanced, RESET. and “Delete Personal Settings”.
    Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/310049/hyperlinks-are-not-working-in-outlook

In Janes case Internet Explorer was disabled previously, I wanted to re-establish the files and settings in internet explorer. So I was able to open control-panel, programs, windows programs and tick the box (activate) next to internet explorer 11. restart the computer and then we checked the links in outlook and they worked.

This may not fix your problem. You may have to disable internet explorer in control panel, restart and then re-enable internet explorer, restart for the setting to take effect. The problem is that the association of .html, .htm, .shtml file types get corrupted during an upgrade or windows, chrome or firefox. By resetting internet explorer, all known file types also then get re-associated and outlook is then able to send via clicked links.

If you wish to get technical and are familiar with using the registry, and the problems of breaking the registry if you do something wrong(back up).

Verify that the String (Default) value of the “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \.html” key is “htmlfile”
    Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/310049/hyperlinks-are-not-working-in-outlook

• This topic was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Wazza.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Wazza.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.